I have tons of upholstery fabric samples that I've ordered for numerous projects over the last few years. I've been keeping all of these samples just hoping that some project would come up where I'd be able to put them to use. I also have an obscene amount of burlap leftover from our wedding decor. Finally a reason to use it!
I was inspired by this post that I found, and used their method to put together a few coasters for our living room. It was pretty simple, I just cut out 5 inch squares of the burlap and the upholstery fabric, pinned them right sides together, and stitched around each side, leaving a 2" gap. Flipped the coaster right side out, and whipped the opening on the side shut. I made three using this method, and for the fourth, I stitched together remnants of all three samples, to give it more of a patchwork look.
The project took me a total of about 15 minutes, and now we've got four cute coasters that didn't cost me a dime. George better keep his paws off these babies.