If you've landed here through Calling It Home's One Room Challenge linkup, welcome! My name is Laura, and I live in Greenville, SC. I'm a wife, a mother of a precious 11 month old boy, and a small business owner. I'm so excited to complete my second one room challenge (check out my first here). I'm working on giving our guest room a facelift on- get this- a $150 budget. No fancy collabs, no interior designers, no $700 light fixtures, no frills. Just consignment finds, DIY projects, and a whole lot of elbow grease.
A few big changes happened in the room this week, and it's finally starting to come together! My girlfriend Elizabeth of Wheaton Whaley hooked me up with these Kate Spade dalmatian print pillows, and they just somehow seem to tie everything in.
I filled the frames above the bedside tables with family photos. I'd originally planned to fill them with artwork or prints, but I couldn't find anything I loved. Since the past few years have been filled with big life events (engagement, marriage, baby) we have all of these professional pictures that have never been printed. This was a perfect opportunity to finally display them.
I hung the curtains, and they also made a huge difference. They really bring the eye up above the window and make the ceiling look so much higher. I used two curtain rods from Walmart that were $5.50 each. I'm glad I didn't splurge on anything more, because these are simple and perfect. The black on the dalmatian pillows along with the black on the curtain rods make everything look so cohesive. The curtains are a tad long, so I'll be hemming them this week.
Since I was a dollar away from my max spending amount, I knew I needed to sell something from the room if I wanted to spend any more money. When starting this challenge, I allowed myself to use any money from the sale of items in the room to add to my budget. I'd previously had two pillow covers on this bed that I no longer needed, so I was able to sell them on a local consignment Facebook page for $45. I had already gone $14 over the $150 budget, so I'll use the remaining $31 to style the rest of the room and get it ready for the Week 6 reveal!
Here's a quick estimation of what I've spent so far:
- IKEA Rast bedside tables: $70
- Curtains: FREE passed down by Caroline of Amanda Louise Interiors
- Chalk Paint for tables: $3.50
- Two additional bin pulls: $7.00 (already owned the other 4)
- Old Window: FREE
- New white outlets, switches, and covers: $8.00
- Old book for wreath: $.50
- Liquid Gold Gilding: $5.00
- Lamps- FREE (repurposed from another room in our house)
- Bedding- FREE (using what we already had in there)
- Picture Frames for above bedside tables- $40
- Curtain Rods- $11
- French Cleat for hanging window- $4
- Throw Pillows: FREE bartered with Wheaton Whaley for some of my jewelry
- Photo Enlargements: $11
TOTAL SOLD: $45
BUDGET REMAINING: $31
Here's what I still need to do:
- Hang and blinds (I've had these for weeks, just putting it off)
- Hem Curtains
- Purchase a few items to style the room
You can view progress from previous weeks through the links below.